Hubby and I are working on our taxes today, and we needed a quick but fairly hearty breakfast — one that I could eat at my desk as I finished entering the very last figures we need before embarking on completing our tax forms for filing.
So, I made us BLTs (Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) sandwiches.
BLTs make a great breakfast, lunch, or supper sandwich. For lunch or supper, I would most likely serve them along with some soup, or maybe with some chips (crisps to those of you across the pond 😉 ).
To lighten and healthy up this delicious favorite sandwich, I
- make the sandwich on wheat or grain bread;
- use turkey bacon in place of the fattier, higher calorie pork bacon; and
- use light Miracle Whip or light Mayo in place of the full-fat spreads.
I also like to add a slice of cheese to my BLT, as well.
“But, but, but…cheese? Why are you adding cheese? I thought you were trying to lighten the sandwich up!”
This is all true. And I don’t always add the cheese. But when I have a morning ahead where I’m being active physically and/or mentally, I need a breakfast with protein that will stick with me. The sandwich I made this this morning had 2 slices of 7-grain bread (150 calories and 26 carbs) and 4 slices of turkey bacon (140 calories). Even if I used a full tablespoon of light Miracle Whip (20 calories) or light Mayo (35 calories) — and I don’t think I do, I think it’s more like 2 teaspoons — we’re still talking just 310 to 325 calories (I’m counting the lettuce and tomato as “free” foods).
So, to my BLTs, I generally like to add a slice of reduced-fat (60 calories) or regular (70 calories) American cheese — though you could choose other kinds of cheese, as well, of course. This still keeps my breakfast under 400 calories, but in addition to adding some nutritious calcium into the mix, it adds in a bit more protein, too. It all ends up equaling a sandwich that will get me through a challenging morning.
Vegetarians, you needn’t feel left out — substitute vegetarian bacon for the turkey bacon!
BLT with Turkey Bacon (Makes 1 sandwich)
- 2 slices sandwich bread (I usually use whole wheat or whole grain bread)
- 4 slices turkey bacon (or vegetarian bacon), cooked (I find it crisps up best in the microwave, on a ridged bacon cooker)
- 1 slice cheese (optional)
- Wee spread of reduced fat Miracle Whip or reduced fat Mayo
- Sliced tomato
- If desired, toast bread. (Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.)
- Cook bacon.
- Spread bread lightly with light Miracle Whip or Mayo. Sprinkle with some coarse ground black pepper if desired.
- Assemble sandwich with cheese, bacon slices (I break each slice in half and place them on the sandwich in alternating vertical and horizontal layers), lettuce, and tomato.
Even with turkey bacon, it’s yummy enough to make Homer drool. 😉