Sometimes, when we have a hankering for something rich, cool, and chocolate, I whip us up a Double Fudge Pie.
I think I came across this recipe on a label for Cool Whip Light. It quickly became a favorite of ours from the first time I made it. Despite its rich taste, it is sugar-free and reduced fat.
Yes, yes, yes, I know — it uses convenience products: sugar-free instant pudding mix and Cool Whip Lite.
I’m not “above” using convenience products because they are just that: convenient. I do respect those who have concerns about the chemicals and preservatives in such products. If these convenience products aren’t your thing, that’s just fine. 🙂 But you can still go on and take 30 seconds to relive one of Bill Cosby’s many fun pitches for Jell-O. You know you want to. 😉
While you can use a prepared graham cracker crust that you pick up from the store, it’s quick and easy enough to make your own, which I prefer to do. I keep a box of graham cracker crumbs in my pantry so I can pretty much whip up a graham crust whenever we have a hankering for a graham-crust pie.
Oh, and that pie crust smells incredibly yummy as it bakes!
This pie tastes best when you use chocolate fudge instant pudding, not just chocolate. Locally, I’ve found that I have to go to both WalMart and Brookshire’s to be able to obtain instant sugar-free white chocolate and chocolate fudge instant pudding mixes, as neither store carries both.
Graham Cracker Pie Crust (Makes one 9″ pie crust)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3 packets of your favorite artificial sweetener (I prefer aspartame, e.g., Equal)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour one cup of graham cracker crumbs into a 9″ pie pan. With a fork, stir in 3 packets of sweetener. Stir in the melted margarine or butter until graham crumbs are moistened.
- Gently press crumbs alongside edges of pie plate to form crust edge, then press crumbs along the bottom to form the rest of the crust.
- Bake until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool (I place mine on a baking rack) before filling.
Double Fudge Pie (Makes 1 pie, 8 servings)
- 9″ graham cracker crust
- 1 package (4 servings each) no-sugar-added instant white chocolate pudding
- 1 package (4 servings each) no-sugar-added chocolate fudge pudding
- 2 cups milk (skim or 1%) DIVIDED
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Lite DIVIDED
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, if desired
- Pour 1 cup milk into a medium-sized bowl AND 1 teaspoon almond extract, IF DESIRED. Whisk in chocolate fudge pudding mix. Mixture will be THICK. Stir in about half (or a little less than half) of the container of Cool Whip Lite into the chocolate fudge mix.
- Spread the chocolate fudge mixture into the bottom of the graham crust.
- Pour remaining 1 cup of milk AND 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, IF DESIRED, into another medium-sized bowl. Whisk in white chocolate pudding mix. Mixture will be THICK. Stir in remaining (or a bit less than the remaining) Cool Whip Lite into the white chocolate mixture.
- Spread into pie plate on top of first layer. I like to put little decorative swirls in it with my spatula. 😉 I also like to lightly sprinkle the top of the pie with a light dusting of graham cracker crumbs to “dress up” the top of the pie a bit more.
- Refrigerate until set, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Keep stored in refrigerated.